#KartiniMasaKini: Merrie Elizabeth
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
From struggling from the bottom with her business partner to open up a beauty salon, Blobar, to the Forbes 30 under 30 list! Her persistence and courage as a female entrepreneur inspire us to be more fearless when it comes on achieving our dreams.
- When and how did opening a salon came up to your mind?
I had the idea of a beauty salon when pursuing MBA in Prasetiya Mulya. At that time, I met Ninda, my partner and we eventually rock a team of BloBar. We think of beauty as a never-die need for women and men, then focusing on millenials that seek for self-actualization through their look. In BloBar, we offer an unique beauty services, especially coloring with various color ombre.
- What is the biggest struggle when you first opened BloBar?
The biggest struggle was when I was cheated by one of my business partners. It was shocking & stressing me a lot because she was a close friend and it was a quite huge sum of money. I decided to move on from that painful experience & learn to separate between friendship & business.
- What’s the most essential character or trait that an entrepreneur must have?
Integrity, persistence, and endurance in low times.
- What was your first reaction when you know you were on Forbes 30 under 30 list? And what does it means to you?
I was touched by that award because I never thought of any awards. All I think is how the business can grow & give the best to our customers. Forbes 30 under 30 award is a reminder for me to keep going & innovate with new trends.
- What is your definition of success?
Success is doing what we like to do & give positive impact to all stakeholders: staff, customers, suppliers as well as having a work-life balance with myself, family, friends & lover.
- In moments of self-doubt or adversity, how do you build yourself back up?
I pray, talk to my support-system & think of why I started doing it.
- How do you keep your employees, partners, or team members motivated and keep moving?
I make time to talk to everyone & listen to them. We work out a solution to overcome obstacles together. What makes our team work strong is an open communication & an understanding leader.
- What is your favorite quote, or your motto to keep on going in life?
The best way to predict the future is to create it.
- What is your favorite Puyo Desserts?
- Say you are given a chance to speak in front of many Indonesian women. What is the
most important message that you want to tell them?
Dream high, love yourself, don’t complain, and work harder.